London — Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service says it has authorized charges against actor Kevin Spacey for four counts of sexual assault against three men, the service said in a statement on Thursday. He was also facing a fifth count, of “causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent,” relating to one of the three men. The statement from prosecutors was a change from earlier in the day, when they said he had been charged.
The first two alleged assaults took place in London in March 2005 against the same man, who is now in his 40s. The third alleged assault and the charge of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent relate to an incident that took place in August 2008 in London, against a separate man who is now in his 30s. A fourth alleged assault took place against a third man, who is now in his 30s, in Gloucestershire in 2013.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Spacey are active and that he has the right to a fair trial,” the CPS said in a statement, urging that there be “no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
In 2017, after American actor Anthony Rapp alleged that, when he was 14, Spacey had climbed on top of him in a bed, numerous allegations of assault and inappropriate behavior were made against Spacey.